I'm in the process of tring to get beagle working on my FC3 Laptop, being my usual read the instructions later self, I added the yum repo suggested on Beaglewiki.org and it resolved all it's dependencies, and I thought all was good, but it wasn't :( .
Turns out my laptop installed the latest kernel from the official fedora updates, rather than a custom one that i needed... So I decided to have a go at building it myself :D
The beagle guys provide their own src.rpm so I just tried using the "patch" info in that to patch the latest proper kernel from Fedora/Redhat... but no joy :'( ...but then I found a cracking thread on fedoraforum.org
So this is what I did....
(1) Install the "proper" source kernel rpm kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3.src.rpm
(2) From the src.rpm provided by beaglewiki/Ben Konrath I extracted inotify.patch
(3) Then from my \~/rpmbuild/SPEC dir I ran
(4) make your custom kernel custom edit \~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.10/linux-2.6.10/Makefile
(5) apply the inotify patch from \~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.10/
(6)Check the patch went on.... run:
and check that Device Drivers -> Character Devies - Inotify is "stared"
(7) Build your kernel/rpm
time show how long the command took
Now that I'd built my kernel, I needed to install it...
(8) the rpm/kernel is in \~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386, so I installed it
but for some reason this isn't enough... :( so the next step was to ...
(10) and finally /etc/grub.conf needs some new entries... mine look like:
and then I was able to reboot into my new kernel :)
Please note: If you want to use the inotify device you will also have to add a line to your /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions. You will need to add
to the very bottom so that it will hold its permissions on each reboot.
Hopefully now I can press on getting the beagle to work ;)
kernels = http://www.bagu.org/inotify/
orriginal patches = http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/inotify/v2.6/0.19/
inotify 4 linux = http://www.edoceo.com/creo/inotify/
custom kernel rpms = http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29434&page=1&pp=15